Sydney Ancients Hoplite & Roman Society
Sydney Ancients are a re-enactment group of the ancient world. Our current focuses are Classical Greece, Early Republican Rome and 1st Century Imperial Rome. The group interest covers all facets of ancient life including military and civilian activities.
We meet casually through out the year usually on the 1st Saturday of a month (not every month).
Our activities include parade marching drills (Greek Hoplite and Roman Legionary), themed camping weekends, social reclining dinners, working bees, social non dress up outings
Look for the yellow "Ancients-->" sign at venues. New attendees contact Mark Kelly for actual locations.
Please note that dates & theme are subject to change so check the calendar for updates.
2018 remaining Dates
- 6 October Annual General Meeting - Location Lennox Street Richmond
- 20-21 October - "Timeline" www.timeline.org.au public event at Kryal Castle (near Ballarat Victoria) join with Hoplitikon of Melbourne - For information purposes only
- 3 November No training
- 8 December Saturnatlia (Wine, Dine & Recline) dinner. Working bee/drill in afternoon, dinner starting around 6pm. Details to be confirmed. All welcomed including partners (your responsibility to have them dressed appropriately), self catering (we can assist with what food to bring/not bring) BYOG - Location Lennox Street Richmond
- Late December (or mid January 19) date to be confirmed. Road trip visit to Canberra to see "Rome City and Empire" at the National Museum Australia http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions/rome-city-and-empire If you want to join us contact Mark Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Dates (tentative dates to be confirmed)
- Mid January or 2 February? date to be confirmed. Road trip visit to Canberra to see "Rome City and Empire" at the National Museum Australia http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions/rome-city-and-empire If you want to join us contact Mark Kelly at email@example.com
- 2 March Working Bee to finish Macedonian Sarrissa
- 6 April Camping weekend at Bungonia. Possibly Roman Miliraty theme. Details to be confirmed.
- May Joint training day? Details to be confirmed
A little further in the furture:
- June/July 2021 Greece - Battle of Platea commemoration and Thermopylae visit.
Greek and Roman cultures are portrayed between 500BC and 100AD.
Our members do Greek Hoplites in Phalanx and Light Infantry, as well as Roman Legionaries of the early Republic and Imperial eras. We are a confederation of individuals that encourages all type of Re-enactment in the ancient world. So if you are interested in representing Hoplites, Alexander the Great, Roman Army or Phalanx warfare or just interested in re-enacting ancient life, we'd love to here from you.
The group does a range of activities from living history campsite to military drills and re enactment of the duties of Classical soldiers. The group also conducts authentic athletics,cooking, games and cultural activities of the period 500BC to 100AD.
All activities are conducted with safety as the first priority. Many of the weapons are blunted for safety reasons. No participant is to conduct any activity that will endanger themself or any other person. While armed no person will consume or partake of performance altering substances.